Adolescence is a crossroad in any child’s life. But, make that a girl growing up in U.P and the crossroad becomes a challenge that she can can’t meet alone.
• Over 17 million adolescents drop out of school to enter an early marriage. 1 out of 3 girls who are married early face some form of violence in the future.
• The state of U.P. has close to 2 million child marriages and the highest number of children born to children.
• High drop-out rates mean that the female to male literacy ratio is as low as 0.68.
• Inaccessible or expensive adolescent health services has alarming consequences. Nearly 60% of girls in the 15-19 age group are anemic.
• The sex ratio is at an all-time low of 882 girls for every 1000 boys (in the 10-19 age group).
Breakthrough believes that intervention at adolescence can make the difference between a life of opportunity and promise and one of discrimination and defeat.
This is why we are engaging with 200,000 young girls, young boys, parents, schools, health workers and entire communities to create an environment in which girls can thrive. We are building self-belief in girls and providing them with the necessary access to quality education and health services.
We need you to help in this mission. Every rupee we receive helps us reach more girls, strengthens the programme and builds more lives.